|Profession(s)||Writer, Film Director, Producer|
|Famous For||Being Gulzar & Rakhee's daughter|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet & inches- 5’ 4”
|Debut||Film (Screenplay): Hu Tu Tu (1999)
Film (Director): Filhaal (2002)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Best Film Award for Raazi by Filmfare in 2018
• Best Director for Raazi by Filmfare in 2018
|Date of Birth||13 December 1973 (Thursday)|
|Age (as in 2019)||46 Years|
|School||St. Xavier's High School, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra Hindustan Times|
|College/University Wikipedia||• St. Xaviers College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
• Tisch School Of the Arts, New York
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Graduation in Sociology from St. Xavier's
• A short course in filmmaking from the Tisch School Of the Arts in 1995
|Religion||Sikhism The Asian Age|
|Address||Boskiyana, Nargis Dutt Road, Pali Hill, Bandra (W), Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Hobbies||Painting, Gardening, Listening to Music|
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||9 January 2000|
|Husband/Spouse||Govind Sandhu (Businessman)
|Children||Son- Samay Sandhu
|Actor(s)||Irrfan Khan, Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan|
|Actress(s)||Tabu, Alia Bhatt|
|Film||When Harry Met Sally (1989)|
|Music Director(s)||Vishal Bhardwaj, A. R. Rahman|
|Singer(s)||Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar, Anuradha Paudwal, K. S. Chithra|
|Song(s)||"Jaage Hain" from the film- Guru (2007), "Kabira" from the film- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013)|
|Book||"Children's Letters to God" by Stoo Hample|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Meghna Gulzar
- Meghna Gulzar is an Indian film director, producer, and writer. She has directed films like Talvar and Raazi.
- Meghna Gulzar was born as the only child to the renowned lyricist, Gulzar and the veteran actress, Rakhee.
- She missed a conventional childhood; as her parents were separated during her early years. Meghna loves Kashmir; as most of her childhood was spent in Kashmir due to an extended period of her parents shooting schedules.
- Meghna started her career as a freelance writer for the “Times of India” and the NFDC Publication- “Cinema in India.”
- She is also a poet and the “Poetry Society of India” has published her poetries in its anthologies.
- After completing her graduation, she started working for filmmaker Saeed Akhtar Mirza (winner of two national awards) as an Assistant Director.
- After completing her filmmaking course in New York, she returned to India and assisted her father in films such as “Maachis” and “Hu Tu Tu.”
- While working for her father, Meghna simultaneously started scripting a film of her own, and she started directing documentaries for Doordarshan. She also directed many videos for music albums during that time.
- In 2002, Meghna directed her first film “Filhaal,” starring Sushmita Sen and Tabu. However, the film was not a success at the Box Office. Her second film, “Just Married,” starring Fardeen Khan and Esha Deol wasn’t a success as well.
- In 2015, Meghna directed the film “Talvar,” written by Vishal Bhardwaj, which received critical and commercial acclaims. The film was based on the “2008 Noida double murder case”; an unsolved case of the double murders of a 14-year-old girl Aarushi Talwar (daughter of Dr Rajesh Talwar and Dr Nupur Talwar) and a 45-year-old domestic worker, Hemraj.
- She doesn’t like the term “Bollywood,” and she prefers to call it the “Hindi Film Industry.”
- In 2018, she directed “Raazi,” starring Alia Bhatt and Vicky Kaushal. The film was based on Harinder Sikka’s novel “Calling Sehmat,” depicting the story of the real-life Indian Spy, Sehmat (fictional name). The film was a success and it bagged two Filmfare awards as well.
- Once, in an interview, she had expressed her desire to direct her mother Rakhee in a film.
- In June 2019, she announced that she had wrapped up the shooting for her next film, which was based on the real-life story of the acid attack survivor, Laxmi Agarwal. The film is titled “Chhapaak,” and it will be released on 10 January 2020. The film will be starring Deepika Padukone as Laxmi, and Vikrant Massey, of the Mirzapur fame. On 25 March 2019, Deepika, who is also the producer of the film, released the theatrical poster of the film, which also revealed her look as Laxmi.
A character that will stay with me forever…#Malti
Shoot begins today!#Chhapaak
— Malti (@deepikapadukone) March 25, 2019
- In June 2019, Meghna announced that she was working with Ronnie Screwvala to direct a biopic on India’s first Field Marshall, Sam Manekshaw. Bollywood actor Vicky Kaushal is supposed to play the role of Sam Manekshaw, and Vicky also posted a picture on his Instagram handle revealing his look as Manekshaw.
View this post on Instagram
I feel honoured, emotional and proud of getting a chance to unfold the journey of this fearless patriot, the swashbuckling general, the first Field Marshal of India- SAM MANEKSHAW. Remembering him on his death anniversary today and embracing the new beginnings with @meghnagulzar and #RonnieScrewvala. @rsvpmovies