|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||â€¢ In 1980, joined Congress and was elected to the Lok Sabha.
â€¢ In 1984, resigned from the Parliament to protest against the Operation Blue Star.
â€¢ In 1984, joined Shiromani Akali Dal and became an MLA from Talwandi Sabo.
â€¢ In 1984, became a minister in the state government for Forest, Agriculture, Development and Panchayats.
â€¢ In 1992, broke away from the Akali Dal and formed his own party- Shiromani Akali Dal (Panthic).
â€¢ In 1998, merged his party with Congress after being defeated in the assembly elections in which he was defeated from his own constituency (got only 856 votes).
â€¢ Served as President of Congress Committee (Punjab) on 2 occasions- from 1999 to 2002 & 2010 to 2013.
â€¢ In 2002, he became 23rd Chief Minister of Punjab.
â€¢ On 16 March 2017, he became 26th Chief Minister of Punjab.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5â€™ 7â€
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 84 kg
in Pounds- 185 lbs
|Date of Birth||11 March 1942|
|Age (as of 2020)||78 Years|
|Birthplace||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|Hometown||Patiala, Punjab, India|
|School||Welham Boys' School, Dehradun, India
The Lawrence School, Sanawar, Solan, Himachal Pradesh, India
The Doon School, Dehradun, India
|College||National Defence Academy, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
|Educational Qualifications||Graduated from the National Defence Academy, Pune and Indian Military Academy, Dehradun|
|Debut||In 1980, when he joined Congress and was elected to the Lok Sabha|
|Family||Father- Yadavindra Singh (Maharaja of Patiala from 1938 to 1974)
Mother- Rajmata Mohinder Kaur of Patiala
Brother- Malwinder Singh
Sisters- Heminder Kaur, Rupinder Kaur
|Hobbies||Playing Polo, Reading, Travelling|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Affairs/Girlfriends||Aroosa Alam (Pakistani journalist) The Print
|Wife||Preneet Kaur, Politician (married 1964)
|Children||Son- Raninder Singh
Daughter- Jai Inder Kaur
|Net Worth (approx.)||82.5 crores INR|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Captain Amarinder Singh
- He was born to Yadavindra Singh & Maharani Mohinder Kaur of Patiala.
- He was very passionate about joining theÂ army from his school days.
- After graduating from NDA and IMA, he joined the Indian Army (commissioned as a Captain) in June 1963.Â
- When he was in the Indian Army along with his brother, his father was the then Ambassador to Rome, and his mother was in the Lok Sabha.
- He resigned from the Indian Army in August 1965, citing his services were needed at home.
- He rejoined the Indian Army after the start of the Indo-Pak War in 1965.
- When Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh (GOC-IN-C of the western command) asked Amarinder to join him, he felt honored and joined him as his ADC.
- In the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War, he served as theÂ captain in the Indian Army.
- Rajiv Gandhi was his friend from school and inducted him into the Congress in 1980.
- His daughter Jai Inder Kaur is married to a Delhi-based businessman, Gurpal Singh.
- His wife, Preneet Kaur, served as the Minister of State in the Ministry of External Affairs from 2009 to 2014.
- His elder sister, Heminder Kaur, is married to K. Natwar Singh (former Foreign Minister).
- Amarinder’s wife, Preneet Kaur, and former IPS Officer Simranjeet Singh Mann’s wife are sisters.
- He has been associated with the Jat Maha Sabha for more than 3 decades and is an advocate of Jat Reservation under the OBC class.
- He has written a number of books on Sikh History & War.